Thursday, February 23, 2012

Smart Start of Union County

For the first time in a long time, I went to a place that we have here in our county called, "Union County Smart Start Resource Center." I don't know specifically know of anywhere else that has something like this, but there might be in your county, so check it out. It is basically a library of teaching supplies that you borrow for a low yearly fee. It is meant for children ages birth-5, but I have found that they have lots of stuff that can be easily modified for whatever grade level that you need. I love it because it allows me to create fun lessons without spending a gazillion dollars on the stuff myself. You have to be a parent of a birth-5 child, teach at a preschool, or regularly take care of kids in that age group to qualify for the center. However, I was told that having special needs kids is an exception that will qualify me for as long as it is needed. If you live in Union County, North Carolina, check it out! It's an awesome resource for homeschooling or even just finding cool toys for your kids to play with. One of the favorites that I have borrowed from there in the past was a wooden farm set. My kids loved it so much that I decided that Kate would get one for Christmas last year. It was a great "test drive" of a toy that I wasn't sure would get played with. They even have dress-up clothes, puppet theaters, baby toys, and tons of books and music to go with thematic units.

No comments:

Post a Comment