Our local library has some awesome books about elephants. I wanted to make sure we had a variety of fiction and non-fiction books to fit the theme. Benjamin greatly prefers non-fiction, but I am trying to get him to read more fiction to check for reading comprehension and increase his ability to retell a story. That's more difficult in a book filled with facts. Here are the books we are using during this thematic unit:
- Elephants Can Paint Too! by Katya Arnold
- Tarra & Bella: The Elephant and the Dog who Became Best Friends by Carol Buckley
- Animal Families: Elephants by Daniel Gilpin
- The Elephant Who Couldn't Forget by Faith McNulty
- Grandma Elephant's In Charge by Martin Jenkins
Honestly, I have found that some of my "impromptu" lessons turn out better than the ones that I have planned for months on end. We have had so much fun doing the activities that the books led us to naturally.